Skip to main content

More on Memorizing Scripture


You may remember that I wrote a post previously on memorization back in January, which you may read here if you need a quick refresher. Over the past few months, as I’ve continued with my goal of memorizing the book of Colossians, I’ve stumbled over a few more thoughts that I would love to share with you.

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying dedicating time to memorizing this year, something that I’ve never made a priority before. Lately I’ve been researching just how memorizing is scientifically beneficial for you, but I’ve not compiled enough on that yet to share in this post. After more study, I would love to share what I learn!

In the meantime, I’ve been learning things through my personal experience in memorizing that I think are interesting observations. These are things that I did not notice earlier this year when I began to memorize Colossians and wrote my initial post, but are some insights that I’ve paid attention to as I’ve continued with this goal.


Insights on Memorization

First, it takes time to “get into the flow” of memorizing. Many times when I pulled out my Bible to work on the next few verses of a chapter, I experienced a bit of a mental block that kept me from remembering both the verses I’d already committed to memory and whatever phrases I was trying to add to my reservoir.

This was very frustrating, as you can imagine. How could I just forget all those verses that I had worked so hard to memorize?

I hadn’t forgotten them, it just seemed that my brain was having a hard time recalling them. But with perseverance, I always pushed past that mental block and soon the verses, both old and new, began to flow more speedily.

I have no scientific explanation for this other than what my experience has repeatedly proven to me- it just takes time for my brain to get used to memorizing. It doesn’t matter if I’ve spent a day or several months away from my Scripture passage, this pattern seems to be consistent. I don’t know yet how to explain this mental switch, but I definitely feel it happening.

The takeaway:

Give yourself time to memorize. Don’t glaze over a verse for only a few seconds and expect it to be committed to memory-- put in the effort and time that the Word of God deserves and you will experience much greater results in the long run!



Second, the more I memorize, the more that I want to memorize. Is this a pattern that you find true of yourself? The more you participate in something, the more interested you become in it. For example, I’m an artist. The more that I draw, the more that I’m interested in drawing- I want to learn more about it, read books about it, talk more about it, and practice more at it. Maybe you have experienced something like this for yourself.

This has been no exception for me when it comes to memorizing. At first I was just excited to see my progress. In only a few short weeks I had the majority of a whole chapter memorized. I wanted to memorize more!

But after the first few months I lost my initial interest in the novelty of memorizing such large portions of Scripture at a time. So approaching it again after an extended break, I have developed a new interest in it that exceeds that initial novelty. Now I want to talk about it, I want to learn about it, I want to understand it. Furthermore, I want to keep practicing it.


The takeaway:
When you begin to take memorizing seriously, you should reach a point in which you develop an excitement (or rather a joy) to memorize. If you lack this, don’t let it worry you! That doesn’t mean that memorizing Scripture isn’t for you, it simply means that the importance of memorization for you personally hasn’t sunk in yet. Keep up your efforts and pray that the Lord will teach you to love His Word, and He will certainly answer!



Third, I have found that it is vital to understand what the passage is saying. I can try to memorize all the stand-alone words in a passage as I did for poetry when I was in grade school; but without meaning, what does it matter?

Scripture verses are never stand-alone; they always have a context! Understanding the context-- the verses surrounding before and behind, to whom the passage is addressed, by whom it was written, in what historical period it was written, etc.-- is an essential part in understanding the meaning of the passage.

I have found that the more I pay attention to the meaning, which often times means slowing down and trying to figure it out based on the context, the easier it is to remember that passage. Memorization aside, I always find something deeper concerning spirituality, God’s character, and personal application.


The takeaway:
Simply pay attention to the words and what they are saying! Ask yourself questions to help you to grasp the meaning-- how are two seemingly different thoughts connected? What kind of emotion did the author have in writing those words? How would the original recipients of those words have reacted when they read it? What kinds of actions are being encouraged?

God gave you a complex, highly intelligent brain with the capacity to learn and understand-- please use it for His sake! Asking questions about a passage does not mean that you doubt God, but instead it should drive you into further study of His Word to answer those questions. The answer may be right in front of your nose, which you may not even notice until the question is even asked!


More Tips on Memorization

I have compiled a few more tips on memorization that you may find helpful. Again, most of these are from my personal experience, and I use them regularly to help me to remember whatever passage I work on. Please read my first post for the first ten tips if you have not already. You may find these additional tips helpful as you continue pursuing your memorizing goals!



1. Review often.

This seems like a no-brainer, but it is absolutely essential if you want your hard effort to last! I made the mistake as I approached the end of the first chapter in Colossians to stop reciting the whole chapter as I continued to chapter two. As a result, the last handful of verses in the first chapter got very muddy in my memory and were very difficult to recall.

The more that you memorize, the longer it will take to review. So plan to compensate for this by extending the time that you spend on memorizing. You may have to limit your review times to certain days of the week if you are tight in your schedule- just make sure that you dedicate a regular amount of time to it. Your long-term memory will thank you later!



2. Change up your routine.

When I began memorizing, I routinely did it every day right before bed. This worked very well for me, considering my single lifestyle and limited family responsibilities, for about two and a half months. But I found myself slipping into excuses more regularly on why I could not memorize that night-- I was too tired, I needed to wake up early, or I just wasn’t in the mood.

I lost track of my goal and put off memorizing for several months. On and off I would try to pick up the habit again, only to find myself frequently using the same excuses.

Something as simple as changing my routine from evening to morning revitalized my memorization efforts.

Periodically expect to change up your routine. Times are always changing and your circumstances will not always be what they are now, so being willing for a simple change may be the key to keeping a memorization habit consistent.



3. Be accountable to someone.

This is the biggest motivator you can have to make sure that you continue pursuing your memorization goals. Both I and my sister Abby use this technique to keep us on track.

Finding someone to help you stay accountable is as simple as finding someone with whom you can share your goal and who is willing to listen to you recite your verses. Abby is memorizing the book of 1 John with her husband, so they are accountable to each other. They have made it a habit to recite their verses right before any meal that they eat together-- usually once or twice a day. I am accountable to my parents, and I recite a whole chapter after each one that I finish memorizing.

It may even help to find someone who is willing to memorize with you, but do not depend too highly on that considering that many people tend to fall away from such goals. If you have made such a goal and your partner has lost interest or given up, don’t let that keep you from finishing yours. Ultimately you are responsible to the Lord for the efforts you put into studying and memorizing His Word, and that alone is enough to keep your heart set on pleasing Him.



4. Don’t give up.

If you miss a day of memorizing, it’s not too late for you to reach your goal. If you haven’t picked up your Bible in months or years, it is never too late to pick it up again.

If you have had a long lapse between memorizing sessions, pick up where you left off and keep on going. Don’t let a long break discourage you from trying, and don’t feel pressured to “start over” as if you have failed some sort of challenge.

Scripture memorization is more than an impressive feat. It’s not a challenge to show off; it won’t bring you a big shiny trophy to set up on a shelf in your living room. It’s for the sake of your soul. Do you want to grow in your understanding of and relationship with the Lord? Memorize Scripture.



I would encourage you, dear reader, to persevere in your efforts of learning the Word. I hope that these words of mine have rekindled a forgotten desire or have encouraged and strengthened your continuing efforts. I know that the Lord will certainly help you as you actively seek to know Him.





__________

Written by Megan

Comments