Skip to main content

(Some) Methods of Time Management

Everyone has a different way of managing their time. Some people prefer planners while others use bullet journals. Some find “brain dumping” very useful while others use detailed diagrams and schedules to plan every minute of their day. Whether or not you use a specific method of managing your time, I think we all can agree how important managing your time is. Especially as I’ve been growing up into adulthood, I’ve learned to appreciate and see the necessity of planning my time.

We will discuss a few techniques to help you manage your time, whether you are a busy college student like me or a stay-at-home mom with a lot on your mind. But remember throughout all of these methods that your focus in all of this must be fixed on God. Make sure you plan your time and make your goals with God’s will as your priority, otherwise I promise you will find yourself in a very frustrating place!

There are a few methods of planning out my time that I have found very useful.

First, I have found that beginning with prayer always sets my heart in the right place for setting God-honoring and glorifying goals. Talk to God about your day as you plan, He not only wants to hear about it but He also wants to help you with it! If you are overwhelmed with your list of things to do, bring it to the Lord in prayer. If you are having trouble fitting in all your important events in your week, ask Him to show you what you ought to do. Always begin with an attitude of prayer and then let that attitude continue throughout your planning.

Using planners can be very effective. There are many different varieties of planners that are available in stores for you to purchase. Some are weekly planners, there are daily planners, or even monthly planners. Some are limited to one year while others are refillable. There are many resources for finding planner page printables all over the place, but especially on the internet.

Planners can be utilized according to whatever you need and can be useful for recording homework assignments, business meetings, events, or anything else you need. It can be used to track your finances, contact information, medical records, menu plans, or daily activities. Really, the diversity depends on you and how in-depth you want to go with your planner.


Bullet journals are another alternative to planners. Bullet journals are a bit more appealing to the creative mind rather than the organized mind, but and organized person can definitely find a bullet journal useful as well! This method of managing your time is all about creativity and personalization. I used to use a planner quite often, but this summer I switched over to bullet journaling just to try it out and I absolutely love it.

The only downfall to this that I have found so far is that it is a bit harder to find bullet journals in stores since they are still a new-ish concept. It would be much easier and probably not too difficult to find some online, though.

Bullet journaling does take more time than using a planner because you do have to take the time to create your own layouts. This all, however, depends on how involved you want to be with your journal and how creative you want to be. I do love them because of the creative aspect to them, and like using a planner, you can use a bullet journal to track anything that your heart desires.

To do lists are very useful. This is usually more limited to a short-term management technique rather than long-term like planners or bullet journals. You can brain dump all of your things to do for the day or week, or you can organize your tasks in order of importance. You can make lists of all the things to be done, all the things you need to buy at the grocery store, or all the homework that is due the next day. Lists are very useful to use and I typically combine using to do lists with my bullet journaling.

Some people may find brain dumps very effective for managing their time. This is virtually writing down literally everything you think of and do them however you think is necessary. I know that personally I have not found them to be useful for my thought process, but who knows? Maybe you might find them to be very useful!


These are just a few of many techniques for managing your time. I chose these ones to talk about briefly because these are the things that I have found useful in my experience, but maybe you have a favorite technique that I didn’t mention. We would love for you to share your ideas! Please, if you have more ideas, don’t be shy to leave a comment. Your technique may be very helpful to other women who desperately need help in managing their time.

Thanks for reading, I hope to talk to you again soon!

In Christ,

Megan

Comments