Skip to main content

Tips for Eating Healthy in College

For many people, college is the first time that they are out of the home and on their own. You are now in charge of your own responsibilities, including your eating habits. Since no one is there to tell you what to and what not to eat, things may get a little out of control.

We must remember that our bodies are a temple of the Lord and we are to glorify God with our bodies. I believe that this includes our eating habits.

Now, I am not a doctor or dietitian. But I have compiled a list of healthy eating tips that I hope you find beneficial.


Tips for healthy eating in college

1. Avoid eating out at fast food restaurants
I know that it is easy just to grab a hamburger after class, but to make a habit of it is not healthy. Besides, the cost adds up after a while.

2. Learn to cook for yourself
Yes, it does take time to cook meals, but (depending on what you make) it can be much healthier than eating out. It is a very practical skill to have in life, and there is no time like the present to learn!

3. Eat until you are satisfied, not until you are full
You can keep off a lot of unnecessary pounds if you apply this thought.

4. Keep a budget specifically for groceries
Save some money to afford some healthy fruits and veggies instead of that package of hot dogs.

5. Eat fruit instead of junk food
If you must snack, snack on something healthier than potato chips and cookies. This one hits home for me because I love potato chips. Like, a lot. I could eat them all day and never get sick of them. But I know that it is not healthy, so I've switched from potato chip snacking to banana chip snacking. It is a much nicer food for me and doesn't leave me feeling groggy afterwards.
Experiment with healthier snacks and find out which ones you enjoy the most.

6. The less sweets and junk foods you eat, the less you will crave them
If you get yourself out of the habit of eating unhealthy food, after a while it will become unappetizing to you. It takes time, but you may find yourself eventually craving apples and oranges rather than cake and chocolate.

7. Keep your sweet intake at a minimum
All that sugar is just not good for your body.

8. Drink grape juice
For some reason, I have found that it helps relieve headaches, which is great on a busy test day. I don't know if it is all psychological or if there is a science behind it, but it has helped me. Maybe it will be for you, too.

9. Remember "BRAT"
When you aren't feeling too great in the stomach but must eat some food, remember "BRAT". This is a trick that my Dad taught me:
There are four foods that sit lightly in your stomach and do well when you feel sick. These foods are bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.

10. Brush your teeth when you are tempted to snack
You will be less likely to eat when you just cleaned your teeth.

11. Keep your hands busy
Instead of eating in front of the TV or computer, make your fingers busy with something like knitting, sewing, or doodling to keep you from reaching for food.

12. Drink water
It will help you to feel full if you are trying to lay off the snacking.

13. Practice self-control
There just comes a point when you are going to decide whether you should eat that unhealthy snack or not for yourself. Will you practice self-control, or give into temptation?



Now I am not a health-nut and I don't mind a bit of less-than-healthy snacks every so often. But the key is balance and self-control.

If you are having a legitimate struggle in this area, talk to the Lord about it and ask Him to help you. He loves you and wants the best for you, so I know that He will help you with even something like this.

I hope that you found these tips useful and find ways to glorify God with your body. I'll talk to you again really soon!

In Christ,
Megan

Comments